A guide to living in the UK
There will be LOADS you'll want to do during your time at Heriot Watt. Here are just some pointers to consider whilst studying here...
- Soak up the Culture
Try new things, taste new dishes and really embrace your time living in the UK!
Dishes to try: Full English Breakfast, Fish and Chips, Pie and Mash, Sunday Roast
- Visit new places
We are blessed to have some major cities around the UK that are easily accessible by train. Glasgow, London, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Liverpool and SO many more are worth a visit.
- Explore what's on your doorstep
Don't forget there is plenty to do in Edinburgh too! From Arthur's Seat to Princes Street, you will spend many weekends discovering new places.
- Get to know your surroundings
With it's beautiful, green parkland, nature and art - Heriot Watt campus has lots to offer. So, make time to really know what's around you and enjoy it!
- Join a society
The perfect opportunity to meet different people than those on your course. Plus, societies are a great source of support when you feel homesick.
- Queue up
You will notice British people are always lining up. Make sure you wait your turn and do not push in as this will be considered rude.
- Finding Food
Do not worry about missing your favourite foods from home. Edinburgh has a range of stores selling country-specific ingredients.
- Get familiar with British holidays
It is worth familiarising yourself with holidays in the UK as you will notice stores and restaurants will close early on certain days.
For more tips and advice, our blogger Judie shared with us her experience whilst living at Heriot Watt...
- Read Next
- International Students: Holidays in the UK How much do things cost in Scotland? International Supermarkets in Edinburgh What's already provided in my halls? Judie's Blog: Once Watt, Never Not Arriving in the UK? Top tips for your arrival!
- S**t shirt Night antics THE guide to doing laundry at Heriot Watt What is Residence Life? Get Fit: Running Routes on Campus Student Union Volunteer Fair