Banned items in your hall
For the safety and security of all residents, the following items are not allowed in your hall. Please read thoroughly to ensure that you do not bring any of the following – or you risk confiscation and/or disciplinary action!!
The following items should not be brought into halls:
- Pets (including live food for pets e.g. insects for reptiles)
- Mini fridges, freezers, coolers
- Electrical fairy lights (battery-powered ones are fine)
- Heating appliances (portable heaters, gas/oil burners or other fuel-burning devices)
- Cooking appliances in your bedroom
- Candles and incense sticks (including fragrance burners and shish pipes)
- Electric blankets
- Washing machines, tumble driers and dishwashers
- Any additional furniture
- Any illegal drugs/substances including legal highs and nitrous oxide
- Any explosive materials (including fireworks)
- Firearms including air pistols
- Any item that has been made or adapted to cause injury
- Darts and dartboards
- Chip Pans
- Deep Fat Fryers
- Clip-on desk lights
- Any open flame device
- Socket cube adapters
- Inside BBQ trays
- Any personal electrical equipment not complying with the safety standards
Bicycles and cars
- Bicycles are allowed on campus but are not allowed inside your hall. Please use a bike shed.
- No vehicle (e.g car, lorry, caravan, motorbike, boat or similar item) is permitted to stay overnight on campus with express written permission from Safeguarding (contact email@example.com).
There are some exceptions...
You can bring appliances such as a rice cooker, coffee machine or toastie maker to use in the kitchen, but only if they conform to the appropriate British Standard and have been purchased in the EU. These are not to be used in the bedrooms, and if cooking appliances are found in your bedroom they will be confiscated.
Medically required fridges
If you need to store refrigerated medicines in your room, you must contact the Wellbeing team and provide supporting medical evidence prior to arrival to campus.
If you have an electrical item over 12 months old or bought outside of the UK or EU, the item will need to be PAT tested before use. PAT testing will be available on campus at the start of semester. This will be advertised on social media (@HWUReslife) in advance.
Confiscation of unsafe electrical items
If our staff notice that you have an electrical item without the correct CE safety mark, we will remove it immediately. We will leave a notice to contact the Residence Life team. The item will be stored until you move out when you will need to collect it within 14 days. We will dispose of any items left behind after 14 days.
Correct CE marks:
- Read Next
- Edinburgh City Guide: What's on? All you need to know about the Edinburgh Festival Fringe Edinburgh City Guide: Shopping areas Banned items in your hall Hungry? Fancy a Coffee? Full list of cafes on campus! Edinburgh City Guide: The best vegan spots New on Campus - Register with the Medical Centre! Edinburgh City Guide: Museums The Bike Bothy is now open! Edinburgh City Guide: Cheap Eats
- Josh's 5 ways to get fit on campus Poppy's Kitchen: Super smoothie Social Thursday THE guide to doing laundry at Heriot Watt What do I do if I get locked out? What's already provided in my halls? What's provided in the Contemporary Building? Quick and Easy Vegetarian Recipes Safety & First Aid - SafeGuarding Services What to pack: International guide