Dark nights: stay safe
With the nights closing in on us, it's really important you take extra care when out and about.
It might be common sense, but...
- Plan ahead: make sure someone knows where you're going, even if you're only popping to the local shop.
- Stay alert: listening to your headphones or talking on your phone can distract you and stop you from hearing potential danger
- Stick to busy streets: avoid poorly lit areas and alleyways
- Travel-savvy: if you're relying on public transport, make sure you check the last train/bus times before leaving as you don't want to be stranded!
- Shut/lock your windows when you go out. Ground floor windows should be kept shut when you are not in the room
- Keep numbers handy: have a couple of trusted taxi companies saved in your phone as well as campus security
- Make sure you have the SafeZone app on your phone: It allows you to send a location-based alert from your phone to Security Services
- Check ID: if someone wants access into residences and don't let anyone tailgate behind you
Phone Numbers to have handy...
You can call Safeguarding Services 24/7 on 0131 451 3500, by using your Safezone app or by picking up one of the red emergency phones. You can also dial 999 or any other emergency number to assist you, but always let security know you've called them so that they can direct the service to you.
For Scottish Borders, you can call Safeguarding Services 24/7 on 01896 892046 or by dialling 2046 from your bedroom.
Lost your keys?
If you have your student ID card and it is before 8pm (Mon - Fri) or 5pm (Sat - Sun), you can:
- Go to the Main Reception who will issue you with a temporary key or card
If you don't have you have your student ID card and it is between 8am and 11pm, you can contact the Residence Life team by:
- Contacting the Safeguarding Services on 0131-4513500 or pick up the red phone or press the enquiry button on your Safezone App.
- Visiting the Residence Life Hub in Christina Miller West.
If you are locked out between 11pm and 8am, please contact Safeguarding Services by calling 0131 451 3500 or pick up a red phone or press the Enquiry button on your Safezone app.
If you're at Scottish Borders...
- If you lose your key, you can contact SafeGuarding Services 24/7 on 2046 or visit the control room and a member of the SafeGuarding team will help you out.
Stolen or lost keys?
You must report this to the Police and to SafeGuarding Services by calling 3500 or go to the Main Reception. For Scottish Border students, call SafeGuarding Services on 2064.