Get Fit: Running Routes on Campus
We all have those days when the thought of getting off the sofa and doing some exercise is too much of a chore. However, Heriot-Watt make it easy to get up and go!
You don't have to worry about mapping routes to get in your morning jog or evening stroll, we've done it for you.
We have several jogging courses marked through the woodland on campus. Starting and finishing outside the Oriam, they're well used and mean you can mix it up! There are four routes all covering different lengths so depending on how energised you're feeling, there's something for everyone.
- Route 1 (1 mile / 1.7 km)
- Route 2 (1.5 miles / 2.4km)
- Route 3 (2.5 miles / 4 km)
- Route 4 (3.1 miles / 5 km)
You can get a printed map from the Oriam or take a look at Google Maps.
Not much of a runner?
Not to worry, we also have five other routes to explore. A perfect way to get familiar with campus, we have the Tree, Landscape, History, Art and Bird Trail to try. With 380 acres of parkland, there's more than enough to keep you busy!
Fancy some company? Join Watt Walks. Great for meeting new people and getting some exercise, they're led by volunteer staff and run every Monday and Thursday, taking you on a 30-minute walk.
FUN FACT: Watt Walks actually started as a research project to explore the benefits walking had on stress and anxiety which found walking twice a week, getting away from the desks and chatting with people lowers stress and improves your physical health of course!
Watt Walks are free, a great way to explore your campus and meet new people - winner, winner!
- Read Next
- The Importance of Social Distancing HELP! MY CLEANER HAS GONE AWOL!! Cooking Together online! Self-isolation: Connecting with friends and family Edinburgh Campus: 27/03 Newsletter Self-isolation: Apps to pass the time New opening hours for ResLife Staying Indoors? Helpful wellbeing ideas! Current Student Resident? Latest FAQ's! Last updated 25/03/2020 at 13:07 A Student Survival Guide To Self-Isolation
- THE checklist for leaving halls Moving Out of halls: What should I do with all my stuff? How to have (and keep) a happy, student house Judie's Top 5 Places to Eat in Edinburgh Josh's 5 ways to get fit on campus Poppy's Kitchen: Super smoothie Suspended face to face teaching from Wednesday 18 March Wellbeing Activities Semester 2 Social Thursday The events to check out in Edinburgh this October