Go sober for October
October 1st marks the start of Sober October.
The annual campaign set up by Macmillan Cancer Support challenges you to go a whole month without touching a drop of alcohol, whilst fundraising to help those who are living with cancer. An all-round fantastic cause!
So, how can you get involved?
It's pretty simple to register for the challenge. All you have to do is enter your details here and begin your first step in becoming a 'soberhero.' This year you can choose to go the whole hog of 31 days or you can go a bit easier on yourself and try out 14 or 21 days - the choice is up to you. Any amount you can raise for Macmillan will go a long way.
Raise some money
Not only is Sober October a great goal to set for yourself, but it's also all about raising money for a good cause too. Your usual fundraising ideas might be tougher to pull off with the current situation but you just need to think outside of the box. Here are a few suggestions:
- Pledge to walk/run a certain amount per day/by the end of the month
- Have a clear-out: take a look through your wardrobe and see if there are any items you could say goodbye to and sell them online, giving the proceeds
- Host a virtual quiz/themed night: Invite your friends for a fun, online event. Get all guests to put in some money and run a quiz/fancy dress night!
Why should you do Sober October? Going booze-free for a month will actually give you a wealth of benefits. These include...
Having more time
Ever wanted to be that person waking up with a spring in their step on a weekend morning? Swerving that hangover will give you more time to enjoy and make the most of the day.
Drinking definitely damages the bank balance so why not put that money aside for something more useful?
A month of detoxing will leave your head feeling a lot clearer and your skin impeccable. No-one needs a lengthy hangover to ruin their day either!
You'll also feel on top of the world when you reach the end of October when you've proved to yourself that you CAN say no to a beer and that you've helped out millions of people living with cancer. Go you!
If you'd like to challenge yourself to pack in the booze for a month then get signed up today!
- Read Next
- ResLife Emergency Food Dating in the Pandemic - Saturday 17th Event! Free Burrito Friday - 23rd October! Free Halloween Pumpkin Carving & Photo Prize Competition! Coronavirus - Check and Reply to Emails! Planned Maintenance 5 Things You Can Do To Be More Environmentally Friendly Recycling at Heriot-Watt University Amended Catering Outlet Opening Hours Due To Current Restrictions Advice From a Graduate: Budgeting
- How to have (and keep) a happy, student house Advice From a Graduate: Budgeting THE guide to Edinburgh Josh's 5 ways to get fit on campus Poppy's Kitchen: Super smoothie Budgeting your money Vlog your experience of halls & get £50 Upay credit! Social Thursday THE guide to doing laundry at Heriot Watt What do I do if I get locked out?