Look after your immune system with our Top Tips!
Shopping healthy on a budget, meal preparation and attempting to make something edible can seem like more effort than what it's worth...
The good news is, you don't have to make massive changes overnight to be healthy!
So, try these top tips to take a step towards a healthier you:
- Don't diet No dieting. Fad diets mean limiting yourself on what you can and cannot eat, and although you may lose weight quickly, as soon as you stop you will put the weight back on just as fast. Instead, listen to your body, everything is good in moderation.
- Don't buy junk As they say, 'out of sight, out of mind,' so avoid buying junk food. If it's not in your cupboard it can't tempt you. Instead, stock up on fruits, nuts, seeds and dark chocolate for when you're itching for a sweet or salty snack
- Carry a water bottle Hydration is vital to your health. If you constantly carry a water bottle with you and keep it filled, you're more likely to be energised and feel less hungry.
- Reduce your alcohol intake
- Quit smoking
- Get some sleep Yes, yes, we've heard it all before about the importance of sleep, but it's true. Sleep is key for a healthy body and mind. Your hormones are regulated while you sleep and help rejuvenate you for the next day. Make sure you're getting enough uninterrupted sleep for your body.
- Eat raw and immune boosting foods According to Eat to Live, by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, you can eat as many raw fruits and vegetables as you want (obviously, so long as they're not covered in creamy dressing). Eating raw means you will get all the nutrients out of those foods your body needs, rather than depleting the nutrients by cooking them. Try to incorporate citrus fruits, Bell peppers, broccoli, garlic, ginger and spinach into your daily diet for an immune system boost!
- Say goodbye to sugar Try to cut out all the sugary drinks and cut back on sweets. I know it will never be the same, but adding fruits to water or snacking on them- instead of sugary items- will make a massive difference to your energy levels and the health of your immune system.
Take care of your health!
Happy, healthy eating!
- Read Next
- Around the world in 8 dishes Collecting your belongings: Scottish Borders Collection of Belongings from Edinburgh Campus Try these TikTok foodie hacks IMPORTANT - SCAM EMAIL ALERT 7 Days of Potatoes - A recipe for each day of the week! Think ahead! Explore your future Support & Advice for Students: Student Success Ebony's Vlog: Surviving Social Isolation Meals to make from your freezer
- Moving Out of halls: What should I do with all my stuff? How to have (and keep) a happy, student house Judie's Top 5 Places to Eat in Edinburgh Josh's 5 ways to get fit on campus Poppy's Kitchen: Super smoothie Social Thursday THE guide to doing laundry at Heriot Watt What do I do if I get locked out? Don't be the noisy neighbour... Meal prep recipes in 5 ingredients or less!