My top 5 places to visit in Edinburgh whilst at Heriot-Watt
As a reflection of my time in Edinburgh, there are definitely places that I will miss when I leave after graduation.
Here are the top 5 places that people must visit while at Heriot-Watt, and I also include three reasons each!
Shopping Destination: Ocean Terminal
If you are a mall person instead of a shop person, ocean terminal is definitely ideal for you. Three reasons why I love the place...
- Popular shopping brands with a lot of sales: Although the place is not designed as an outlet, there seems to be more sales going on compared to the shops in the city centre. (I had a £75 voucher for GAP earlier this year, and I ended up struggling to spend them all because there was 20% off on top of the clearance sales. As a result of that, I ended up buying eight items which I thought was brilliant.)
- Amazing restaurants with brilliant views: I always go to the burger restaurant called Handmade Burger Co. and request a window seat. It has a lot of space, and you can't ask for more than eating the best burger next to the sea!
- Easy access: It is the final stop of bus 34 and 35 so if you are travelling from the university, you can literally just jump on the bus and chill!
Karaoke fan: Supercube
If you are from the UK, you might have already heard of Supercube. Three reasons why it is brilliant!
- Location: It’s on George Street, i.e. many bars around the karaoke bar, so it is definitely ideal if you want to have a wee drink before heading in!
- Discounts: there are weekday discounts, student discounts, and many other discounts for the karaoke!
- Languages: there are many different languages of karaoke, including English, Mandarin, Cantonese and etc.
Park Lover: Princes Street Garden
Prince's street garden is no doubt the number one. Why?
- City centre: as the campus is a bit far from the city centre, going to a park that is an hour away just seems to be too much effort. However, from the university, Princes-street garden only requires 30 minutes commute which makes it a brilliant location.
- Christmas Market: if you happen to be here during Christmas, visiting the market is just a must! Great atmosphere, more and more entertainment, and tasty food!
- Octoberfest: the annual beer festival in Edinburgh, and it is great to enjoy with friends!
Something Natural: Calton Hill
One of the most tourist places in the city centre, and it is a must-go for visitors. How can you study in Edinburgh without going there?
- Festive Night: I celebrate Guy Fawkes Night on 5th November and Burns Night on 25th January at Calton Hill.
- Outdoor Social: A few of my friends sometimes just go on the hill to gather around. However, remember that the hill is a bit windy so always bring a light jacket with you!
- Small hiking: it is very close to the city centre. You can chill in Calton Hill if you get tired of shopping.
City escape: Portobello Beach
Portobello beach is on the east side of Edinburgh.
- City escape: as it is about an hour away from the city centre, it is usually quite chilled to walk around.
- Café: there are a few cafés, ice cream shops, and restaurants around, so it is great with the views.
- Volleyball: I have a few friends who always go to the beach for volleyball competition, so if you happen to be a fan, you will need to try it out!
Of course, there are many other good places in Edinburgh, and if you are interested in any other good places that I have been to, check me out on Instagram: @judietaiwanese.
- Read Next
- 5 steps to self-care Starting University - The Charlie Waller Guide The quickest and easiest bakes to try in halls Food Events - Weekly at Chaplaincy! ResLife Events Calender Gym-free workouts Online Zumba with Mavis Warden Drop In Sessions - Online Notice to all Scottish Borders students Help, I'm locked out!
- How to have (and keep) a happy, student house THE guide to Edinburgh Packing for uni: The clothing essentials Josh's 5 ways to get fit on campus Poppy's Kitchen: Super smoothie Budgeting your money Social Thursday THE guide to doing laundry at Heriot Watt What do I do if I get locked out? What's already provided in my halls?