Packing for university: What to bring
Preparing for University life can be a little daunting and you may end up packing more than you really need. So, before you start packing everything, check out our list of what we think you’ll need, including what you should not bring into halls.
Important documents - bring a few copies of these in case your originals go missing!
- Passport and/or driving license
- HWU acceptance letter – useful for opening a bank account, obtaining student discount cards etc, if you haven’t already
- Insurance documents (travel, contents etc.)
- Student finance documents (loans, bursaries etc.) – to check when the next instalment is coming in
- Bank details and cards
- NHS number - to register with a GP
For your bedroom:
Bedding* (duvet, pillows, sheets & pillowcases)
Clothes (have a look at the essentials for your first semester)
Pins for noticeboard
Extension cable (make sure it's safe to use)
Home comforts (photos of friends and family etc.)
*You will be provided with a bed and a mattress protector but you need to bring your own bedding. Asda, Tesco, Ikea and lots of other shops sell duvets/pillows/sheets.
If you didn’t order a bedding pack when you applied for accommodation but would like one please email email@example.com to request one. These are payable after arrival and are charged at £30.00
For the kitchen:
Crockery (plates, bowls, cups)
We recommend you to visit the Chaplaincy before buying crockery and cutlery. The Chaplaincy collects kitchen items left in halls and distributes them for FREE to the new students!
Visit their Chaplaincy Facebook page for updates here: https://www.facebook.com/HWUchaplaincy
You will have cleaners who maintain all the communal areas (main entrances, lifts, lounges, public bathrooms and stairs) in your accommodation. Your bedroom and bathroom are your responsibility, and you are expected to keep them in an acceptable condition at all times.
Although the cleaners will deep clean your kitchen once a week, you are still required to clean your kitchen regularly. For more information refer to the poster in your kitchen or take a look at our tips and tricks to keeping it clean here.
Remember, keeping your bedroom clean is your responsibility!
- Read Next
- International student focus group Haggis, Neeps and Tatties Introducing Upay Try vegan this January Wave goodbye to those January blues Lockdown 2.0 - What's new on Netflix? Return to Campus 2021: Information and Advice Exam tips How to cope with your 'winter blues' International Student Arrivals
- How to have (and keep) a happy, student house Advice From a Graduate: Budgeting THE guide to Edinburgh Josh's 5 ways to get fit on campus Celebrate Burns Night from your flat Poppy's Kitchen: Super smoothie Try vegan this January Wave goodbye to those January blues How to cope with your 'winter blues' Budgeting your money