Return to Campus 2021: Information and Advice
The Scottish Government has provided guidelines for the safe return of students who travelled away from their term time household over the Christmas break. This is to ensure we do everything we can to minimise the spread of the virus.
We are expecting more details soon and we will update the information on our website as quickly as we can. But here are the key points;
- Semester 2 will start as planned on 11 January. For many of you, this may be online only initially
- All universities have been asked to stagger the start of on-campus undergraduate teaching across the first few weeks of Semester 2
- The advice from the Scottish Government for all undergraduate students is not to travel until your timetable has on-campus teaching scheduled (unless you have no other accommodation or study space, or you need to return for your own health and wellbeing).
- Timetable priorities will be given to students who require essential on-campus teaching including lab work and placements
- All postgraduate students – taught or research – should return from 11 January as per their current timetable or research plans
- The advice is also for you to voluntarily reduce your social activity in the two weeks before, and after, your return
We are now reviewing all our undergraduate timetables to meet these changes for on-campus teaching events. They will be available on myHWU as soon as possible. This will tell you when your on-campus teaching will start.
If you are coming back to our halls of residence, we will send specific information about what this means for you and your accommodation as soon possible.
When you are back, Heriot-Watt will be offering rapid Covid testing facilities. This will work in the same way as the testing before the break – two tests, three days apart. You are strongly advised to take these tests before you take part in any on-campus teaching.
We will keep you updated in the next few days with information on your timetable and more about taking the tests. Please keep checking your HW email and myHWU student portal. And you can contact the Student Helpdesk on 0131 451 8899.
Let’s work together to keep everyone safe – now and in the New Year.
- Read Next
- International student focus group Haggis, Neeps and Tatties Introducing Upay Try vegan this January Wave goodbye to those January blues Lockdown 2.0 - What's new on Netflix? Return to Campus 2021: Information and Advice Exam tips How to cope with your 'winter blues' International Student Arrivals
- How to have (and keep) a happy, student house Advice From a Graduate: Budgeting THE guide to Edinburgh Josh's 5 ways to get fit on campus Celebrate Burns Night from your flat Poppy's Kitchen: Super smoothie Try vegan this January Wave goodbye to those January blues How to cope with your 'winter blues' Budgeting your money