Suspended face to face teaching from Wednesday 18 March
Heriot-Watt University suspends face to face teaching from Wednesday 18 March
Updated Message to Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught Students in Edinburgh, Galashiels and Orkney from Professor Richard Williams, Principal and Vice Chancellor, and Kieran Robson Renner, President HWU Student Union
We want to provide further clarification on the University’s response to the Coronavirus COVID-19 and to tell you we will be stopping face to face teaching at UK campuses next Wednesday 18 March. We are taking this action now to anticipate the likely future developments in this pandemic so that your learning can continue. We are confident we have a plan in place to ensure you can progress to the next stage of your programme and graduate on time.
We currently have no cases of coronavirus at any of our UK campuses. You will be informed if this situation changes.
Since the emergence of this outbreak we have been working with the Scottish Government and Health Protection Scotland and we are continuing to follow the official guidance very closely. The current health advice states our campuses can safely remain open for students and staff. However, we recognise some members of our student community are concerned, therefore we will not penalise anyone who chooses to stay away from campus on Monday 16 and Tuesday 17, before face to face teaching stops.
Academic staff will now transition from face to face teaching to online supported learning, and we expect your education to continue through this period of disruption.
We want to reiterate the next steps we will take to inform you about how this will affect your learning and examinations.
- On Tuesday 17 March, you will be updated on arrangements for learning and assessments.
- On Wednesday 18 March, we will suspend face to face teaching on campus. Our campus facilities and resources, including the library and halls of residence, will remain open.
- On Thursday 19 March, we will update you on your examination timetable and what the arrangements will be. We will not be running campus-based exams and further details of how we will support students to complete online assessments will be provided.
We are listening closely to the concerns of students, staff and members of our University community as we take urgent decisions within the context of this unprecedented situation. We remain confident that by working together, the Heriot-Watt community to which we all belong will be a cohesive team. It is important in this stressful period we continue to support each other, our families and friends.
Keep watching for the updates on Tuesday and Thursday next week on MyHWU Portal . This is the route through to the most up to date advice and information.
Professor Richard A Williams Kieran Robson Renner
Principal and Vice-Chancellor President HWU Student Union
- Read Next
- HELP! MY CLEANER HAS GONE AWOL!! Cooking Together online! Self-isolation: Connecting with friends and family Edinburgh Campus: 27/03 Newsletter Self-isolation: Apps to pass the time New opening hours for ResLife Staying Indoors? Helpful wellbeing ideas! Current Student Resident? Latest FAQ's! Last updated 25/03/2020 at 13:07 A Student Survival Guide To Self-Isolation Suspended face to face teaching from Wednesday 18 March
- THE checklist for leaving halls Moving Out of halls: What should I do with all my stuff? How to have (and keep) a happy, student house Judie's Top 5 Places to Eat in Edinburgh Josh's 5 ways to get fit on campus Poppy's Kitchen: Super smoothie Suspended face to face teaching from Wednesday 18 March Wellbeing Activities Semester 2 Social Thursday The events to check out in Edinburgh this October