Things to look forward to: Edinburgh Edition
We've all missed out on events and celebrations over the past year but in the spirit of staying positive, let's look ahead at all the amazing things that we have to look forward to.
You may not have had the chance to explore and experience all that Edinburgh has to offer yet but all is not lost! Edinburgh is packed full of festivals which will no doubt come back stronger than ever when all this over. Let's take a look...
1. Edinburgh International Film Festival
For film buffs, this is an annual fortnight of cinema screenings from feature-length films and documentaries as well as short films, animations and music videos.
2. The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo
Hosted in the stunning Edinburgh Castle, the Military Tattoo is a must-see. It delivers world-class performances from British Armed Forces, Commonwealth and international military bands and has a spectacular fireworks display too. Rooted in Scottish Tradition, it's a great way to celebrate your new city in all its glory.
3. Edinburgh Festival Fringe
Probably the biggest event in the calendar! The Fringe is the world's largest arts festival, spanning 24 days. Over that time, there are thousands of live performances and hundreds of shows across the whole of the city. 2020 was the first-ever year the Festival has been cancelled in its 73 years - bring on 2021!
4. Edinburgh's Christmas
Held virtually in 2020, the Edinburgh Christmas markets are everything you want them to be, festive, fun and full of charm. It doesn't just stop at the markets though, there are loads of events that happen across the whole of December, including a beautiful light show.
5. Edinburgh Hogmanay
A party like no other! Hogmanay is the Scottish celebration of the New Year and goes for 3 days!
Take a look at 2020's farewell display here: https://www.edinburghshogmanay.com/whats-on/fare-well?fbclid=IwAR3HIrkusRVA6WTzmHvc46j8wNJn18fgmEGgelC8ToPgVluyOtcHPX5tJ7I
Although we don't know for certain when things will get back to the normal we once knew, it's always good to spend some time planning what you're going to do when it's all over - it gives you something to look forward to and aim for!
- Read Next
- Minor Injuries Information Health Care information for International Students Need a dentist? Accident and Emergency Services Leaving your accommodation? Fairtrade Fortnight 2021 Free COVID Test for students Wellbeing Activities Calendar HWU Church Service Join the Scavenger Hunt
- How to have (and keep) a happy, student house THE guide to Edinburgh Josh's 5 ways to get fit on campus Poppy's Kitchen: Super smoothie Budgeting your money Social Thursday THE guide to doing laundry at Heriot Watt What do I do if I get locked out? What's already provided in my halls? What's provided in the Contemporary Building?