Think ahead! Explore your future
As the summer approaches, this is a good time to take some time to have a good explore of what you want to aim for once you have graduated. Even if this is a few years away, having a goal can be a great motivator to get you through those tough study sessions. You can also maximise your summer by gaining valuable work experience in your chosen sector or upskilling to give you an advantage once you graduate.
There are some fantastic resources available to you to help you navigate this chapter of your life. Some paths you may be thinking of are starting a career in industry, continuing on in your studies with a Masters or PhD, or starting your own business.
Here are four great resources to help!
- Heriot-Watt Careers service is still here for you and you can book a video appointment with the Careers team on the myHWU portal.
- For practical skills such as CV writing, have a look at these short videos - https://www.hw.ac.uk/…/careers/uk/bitesize-career-skills.htm
- If you want to make a positive impact in the world with your career, another fantastic resource is 80,000 hours, who are linked with the Centre for Effective Altruism. They are a non-profit which provides free advice and support on how to use the skills you have to solve some of the world's most pressing problems - Check it out here - https://80000hours.org/
- If you are an aspiring entrepreneur, make the most of Business Gateway, for free webinars, tutorials and guides https://www.bgateway.com/
- Read Next
- Interested in volunteering online to help in the Covid-19 response IMPORTANT - SCAM EMAIL ALERT 7 Days of Potatoes - A recipe for each day of the week! Think ahead! Explore your future How to cut your own hair! Self-isolation: You need a fakeaway! Support & Advice for Students: Student Success De-stress techniques for exam season and onwards Ebony's Vlog: Surviving Social Isolation Self-isolation: The best of Netflix
- Moving Out of halls: What should I do with all my stuff? How to have (and keep) a happy, student house Judie's Top 5 Places to Eat in Edinburgh Josh's 5 ways to get fit on campus Poppy's Kitchen: Super smoothie Social Thursday THE guide to doing laundry at Heriot Watt What do I do if I get locked out? Don't be the noisy neighbour... Meal prep recipes in 5 ingredients or less!