Cookie Consent by
a close up of a white counter


Health Care information for International Students

By HWResLife 04 Mar 2021

If you are an international student, it is important to know what to do if you need medical help.

Please familiarize yourself with the health care system in Scotland by reading this article:

The National Health Service
If you are studying on a full-time course, you are entitled to health care from the NHS from the day you arrive until one month after your course finishes

All students living on campus should register with the University Health Service on campus.

Health Centre Opening Hours:
Monday – Friday
08:30 – 18:00

All consultations are by appointment unless it is a medical emergency.

Telephone number: 0131 451 3010

  • Prescriptions
    Prescription medication is free of charge, with a few exceptions. Where there is a cost, help with these costs can be applied for using and HC1 form – available from the Health Centre.
  • NHS 24
    NHS 24 is a phone service for out-of-hours urgent medical advice. When the health centre is closed, call NHS 24 by dialling 111. An experienced NHS nurse will assess your symptoms and arrange for further assessment or treatment if necessary. If you are advised to go to the hospital, contact Safeguarding (via Safezone App, or call 0131 451 3500 or pick up the red phone) who can arrange a taxi for you.
  • Medical Emergencies
    In an emergency, you should go to the hospital – please click here for details.
  • Dental Care
    The Health Centre also has an NHS Dental practice – please click here for details.

Popular topics in Campus