What to do in the event of a fire...
If you discover a fire, raise the alarm at once by:
- Sounding the nearest fire alarm (break glass call point)
- Leave the building immediately and report to the duty officer or security when outside
On hearing the fire alarm:
- Leave the building quickly and calmly by the nearest exit
- Do not stop to collect personal belongings
- Do not use lifts
- If an exit is blocked, find an alternative route
- When clear of the building report to your assembly point
- Do not obstruct access points. Routes must be kept clear for emergency vehicles/personnel
- Do not re-enter buildings until a member of staff gives you permission.
Plan your escape
- Familiarise yourself with your nearest escape routes.
- Know your assembly points
- Know where your smoke detectors are and report them if you think they are not working.
- Ensure your friends/visitors are aware of evacuation plans and assembly areas.
- Personal emergency evacuation plans
- If you have difficulty getting in and out of buildings during an emergency such as a fire (for example due to a disability or medical condition) and you feel you need some assistance, please let Residence Life know immediately. We will make a plan for your escape in advance.
Fire drills will be conducted once every term. You must exit immediately on hearing the alarm and you must follow instructions. During a fire drill, if you do not leave your room and arrive at an assembly point in a reasonable time, you will be fined a minimum of £50 and asked to attend a mandatory Fire Safety Meeting with the Fire Manager.
We recommend you take some time to read through the Fire Safety section of the Student Handbook. If you have any queries, as usual, please speak directly to the Residence Life team.
- Read Next
- How to Report Racism on Campus Chinese Courses at the Confucius Institute ResLife’s top tips for a happy flat Room Decor 101: Personalising your Pinboard Living away: Ways to adapt to independence NHS Vaccination Centre on campus Book a communal area at JMSV NHS Borders Clinic Meet the Res Life Team Your Guide to The Chaplaincy
- Josh's 5 ways to get fit on campus Poppy's Kitchen: Super smoothie Budgeting your money Social Thursday THE guide to doing laundry at Heriot Watt What do I do if I get locked out? What's already provided in my halls? What's provided in the Contemporary Building? Quick and Easy Vegetarian Recipes Safety & First Aid - SafeGuarding Services